Falls are the No. 1 cause of construction worker fatalities. This OSHA statistic includes falls from equipment and large vehicles.
WHEN YOU ARE ENTERING OR EXITING CONSTRUCTION EQUIPMENT AND LARGE VEHICLES
- Face the equipment.
- Maintain three points of contact.
- Be aware of loose clothing, shoelaces, jewelry or other items that can potentially get caught on steps or handholds.
- Don’t jump off the equipment.
- Ensure the handholds and steps are clean and undamaged.
- Pay attention to the surrounding ground conditions.
- Turn off the engine and engage the brakes before leaving.
- Avoid carrying materials and tools when climbing.
- Falls can happen when you’re performing daily inspections and routine maintenance checks.
- Use a stepladder to check the engine and other service locations.
- Avoid climbing on equipment areas that are not intended to be used as walking surfaces.
Download a printable PDF and recording form here.
Members can download the audio version of this toolbox talk soon.