ICI members met virtually on Oct. 22 for the ICI-Side ICI/INDOT Statewide Joint Cooperative Committee meeting and covered a wide range of topics.
Members reported continued collaboration with INDOT to utilize new technology and equipment to improve work zone safety in 2020, such as the trucks for advanced queue awareness vehicles and work zone intelligent traffic messaging systems. Law enforcement officer presence continues to be an industry favorite to get motorists’ attention and slower speeds.
Keith Mullens, ICI/INDOT Statewide Joint Cooperative Committee co-chair, reported that ICI is working with INDOT on a recently published contractor schedule unique special provision. He explained that INDOT’s primary goals are improving accuracy of public communication of key project dates and increasing contractor schedule submissions and quality.
INDOT has received issue resolution proposals for the following topics:
- Payment of lump sum items.
- Measurement and payment for MOT sign.
- Payment for subgrade treatment type IC as IB
- Box structure footing closure pours.
- The proposals are based on a culmination of joint committee discussions and recommendations.
The Statewide Committee leadership will be considering:
- Maintenance of traffic under live bridge demolition.
- Greater use of temporary traffic signals in lieu of flaggers.
- Urging INDOT and local public works entities to refrain from allowing utility relocation after construction contract notice-to-proceed.
The ICI/INDOT Statewide Joint Cooperative Committee leadership will meet in early November to review current agenda items and discuss new topics. The full Statewide Committee meeting is scheduled for Wednesday, Dec. 2. RSVP here.
Please contact Dan Osborn for questions, suggestions and comments concerning the ICI/INDOT Statewide and Region Joint Cooperative Committees.