Documents Required in Commercial Vehicles

Trucking is crucial to construction. Any issues leading to interruption in trucks available during work is detrimental to contractors and suppliers. So, it is important that, if a driver is stopped by a policing authority, the driver has access to required documents and records.

The following is a list of documents that  the Indiana State Police (ISP-CVD) Commercial Vehicle Division may request at a roadside inspection.

  • Driver’s license
  • Medical Card – may ask for one but if it is attached to the BMV driver’s license file it would not be a violation if not produced
  • Vehicle Registration (trailer registration if applicable)
  • Proof of Insurance – hard copy of insurance information
  • Annual Inspection(s) for the truck and trailer, either a paper copy or a legible sticker
  • Indiana Fuel Tax Card (copy), Indiana Fuel Tax decal (placed on driver’s side of cab)
  • Bill of lading for a load (material ticket)
  • Driver’s logs – (individuals operating trucks hauling intrastate for the construction industry are exempt from maintaining logs in Indiana)
    Inspectors should always ask to see a (secured) fire extinguisher and safety devices (3 triangles)
  • Permitted Oversize Loads must carry their permit with them either on their phone or a hard copy.
(Information provided by the Indiana State Police, Commercial Vehicle Enforcement Division)


Insurance Requirements in The State of Indiana
Commercial motor vehicles that are registered or garaged in Indiana are required to have commercial liability insurance coverage. Per Indiana Code 9-13-2-31, “commercial motor vehicles” (CMVs) are vehicles that meet the following guidelines: 1) Have a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of at least 26,001 lbs.; 2) Are designed to transport 16 or more passengers including the driver; and 3) Carry hazardous waste or materials that require placarding. Along with the application for a US DOT number, the following intrastate carriers are required to submit proof of financial responsibility in the State of Indiana:

  • Private carriers transporting hazardous materials; and
  • For-hire carriers.

Truck owners must file a Form E, which is an insurance form you will need for a USDOT or an Indiana identification number if you are an intrastate for-hire carrier and/or a private hazardous-materials carrier. Your insurance company can provide you with a Form E. If you have active FHWA/MC authority, you do not have to submit Form E.

State commercial insurance filing laws apply to drivers who transport cargo within state lines. Drivers who operate commercial vehicles or transport cargo outside state lines must also adhere to federal filing laws.

Vehicle Markings
Don’t forget your vehicle markings! It is important that your vehicle’s markings follow all the guidelines. More information can be found in the Commercial Motor Vehicle Guidebook. Vehicle markings are used in the trucking industry in three different ways. A vehicle marking can be:

  1. The legal name or a single trade name of the motor carrier operating the self-propelled CMV;
  2. The identification number issued by FMCSA to the motor carrier or intermodal equipment provider, preceded by the letters USDOT; or
  3. The identification number issued by the Indiana Department of Revenue, preceded by the letters USDOT and with the letters IN after the number (if you are an Indiana intrastate carrier).
  4. Motor Carrier Decal (issued by the IDOR)

Per the ISP-CVD, common violations regarding markings are fading, information not posted on both sides of the truck cab, size information and contrast in colors.

Contact the Indiana Department of Revenue Motor Carrier Services (317) 615-7200 for questions and clarifications.